Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili would not start a new war over South Ossetia and Abkhazia, that he said on Sunday in an interview with Reuters.
On the night of 8 August 2008, Georgian troops attacked South Ossetia and destroyed part of its capital, Tskhinvali. Russia, defending the people of South Ossetia, many of whom have taken Russian citizenship, put troops into the republic, and after five days of fighting replaced the Georgian military from the region.
“The question is, Does anyone in the world to start a new war in Europe with the participation of Russia, the answer is obvious – no, – said the Georgian president.
According to Saakashvili, the fact that he is still in power in Georgia – this is a miracle. He said that Russia still hopes to topple him from his post as president of the republic.
In late August of last year, Russia recognized the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia. In response, Tbilisi broke diplomatic relations with Moscow and declared the two Transcaucasian republics the occupied territories.
Western countries, including NATO member countries had been criticized for the actions of Russia in South Ossetia and accused her of disproportionate use of force. But after a few months, some European politicians actually acknowledged that Georgia also responsible for the worsening situation in the region.